Always ask parents if they would like an interpreter. Never make assumptions about this.
Be aware of the potential problems in using an interpreter, such as
- concerns about confidentiality
- the interpreter coming from within their community or being known to them
- reluctance to talk about certain things in front of an interpreter
- difficulty in translating some languages accurately, which means some of the meaning of what is said may be lost
You will need to:
- talk to parents before and after an interpreter is used
- explain confidentiality to parents and reaffirm this with the interpreter
- use very clear and simple language when using an interpreter to avoid misunderstandings.
Translating and interpreting service website.
Version historyBack to top