Here are some suggestions about what to ask yourself (and others) when considering the culture of a family you are working with:
- Does the CALD community have an individual or collective perspective? What will this mean for the way I work with the family and talk about alcohol and other drugs use and worries?
- How should information be shared? What will help parents validate what I am saying about alcohol and other drugs use?
- How would the family likely be dealing with their alcohol and other drugs issues? Who would they talk with about it? What treatments and solutions are they likely to try?
- Who in the community could assist with giving messages about alcohol and other drugsuse in a culturally appropriate way?
- What shame and stigma could be associated with alcohol and other drugs use?
- What are the traditional or cultural views about alcohol and other drugs use?
- What are the migration, oppression and trauma experiences of this cultural group within Australia?
- What gender issues do I need to be aware of? What conversations do I need to have and who should I have them with?
- What language is appropriate to use when talking about alcohol and other drugs use?
- What is the best way to name the worries?
- What are potential responses to our worries about alcohol and other drugs use?
- What are the roles within the family and community for this CALD group?
Version historyBack to top