Before talking about a family's experience and understanding of mental health and illness, it's important to understand where they are coming from.
Ways to can ask about a family’s culture and experience:
- I know a little about your culture and the country you were born in. Can you tell me more about it?
- What language or dialect do you speak at home?
- Would you like to me arrange an interpreter for the times we speak?
- Would you like any written notes given to you in your language?
- What is your visa status in Australia?
- Do you understand your rights and the services you are allowed to use?
- How have you found settling into Australia for you and your family?
- Are there any things that you are worried about?
- I understand that some people from your country of origin experienced a lot of hardship there and in getting to Australia. What were your experiences?
- Who do you connect with in Australia? Who would you like to connect with? What might be stopping you?
- What does your culture and community mean to you?
Version historyBack to top